You may or may not have seen me talking about running a steampunk feature in the summer. I posted about it here, and I’ve been talking about it on Twitter from time to time also. We seemed to settle on ‘Clockwork Summer’ for the title, though suddenly Clockwork Carnival came to me when looking at all the exciting things I already have lined up, plus alliteration and bright colours are always good. And I’ve settled on August for the month. I haven’t yet decided whether it will run for 1, 2, 3 or 4 weeks but it will begin 5th August! I’m in the process now of working out how many reviews I will have, how many posts, how many guests and so on to see how long the feature will need to run for.
I am no longer accepting review requests for the feature. Very sorry if you’ve only just heard about it but I’ve had a fair bit of interest so there just won’t be time to fit any more books into my own reading schedule. However, I do still need guests! Whether you’re an author or a person with an interest in the steampunk movement, I’d be overjoyed to have you!
What I Need
- Posts – we’re talking.. origins of steampunk, steampunk fashion, steampunk in gaming, the future of steampunk, and anything else along these lines that might be an interesting read!
- Reviews – you will need to check with me first to make sure we don’t double up, but if it contains steampunk, it’s welcome in the Clockwork Carnival. All I ask is that the review doesn’t get snarky or contain too much swearing, we don’t do that here.
- Author interviews – I currently have 3 authors confirmed for interviews and there’s plenty of space for more. The questions will be focused a little on steampunk and a little bit on yourselves.
- Top Steampunk Books – I’m interested to hear from steampunk enthusiasts from all over, whether you write, promote, or read steampunk, I want to know what your top 5 steampunk books are. If you feel you haven’t read enough but are still able to put together your top 5, you’ve read enough. The end goal of this will be to compile a list of ‘essential’ steampunk reading for people wanting to know where to start or where to fill in the gaps.
- Giveaways – So far have a few things confirmed which is absolutely fantastic but if you have something you’d like to offer, feel free. We can pair it up with your post/review or perhaps add it to the main giveaway of The Clockwork Carnival.
- Unique ideas – There is always something I inevitably haven’t thought of and I am open to ideas! Remember, the more unique, the more you stand out.
I think I’ve covered everything. The plan is to have an international ‘grand’ giveaway running throughout the feature, at the moment it will likely be one winner to choose a steampunk book of their choice from Book Depository, Fishpond, or wherever, but this can always be subject to change if anything comes along. Throughout there will be posts talking about the different aspects of steampunk as a cultural movement, and of course, as a literary genre. There will be reviews and little giveaways throughout, as well as authors stopping by and perhaps even a publicist or two. It’s going to be amazing.
The best thing about The Clockwork Carnival being the second of these features (the first can be found here) I have run is that I know what I’m doing a little more. Last time, there was some amazing guest content and participation from you guys but I put too much on my head. This time I’d like to have all content ready before the feature goes live to reduce any stress on my part and avoid waiting on content during the feature, during which time I don’t know whether it’s coming or not. I’d like everything to be 100% on 5th August and ready to roll. Of course, if you do contribute any content, I will also be linking to your website and/or book so you will get a little something back from this as well.
If you’d like to get involved, please send me an email! Let me know what you’d like to do and we’ll get it sorted out. And you’re welcome to contribute as much as you like! The Clockwork Carnival is going to be a lot of fun, guys. Even if you don’t have anything to contribute (and that’s fine too, we’re all busy people) I really hope you’ll join me in checking out what the feature has to offer. You’re likely to learn new things and expand your wishlist! See you there!
PS. Please spread the word – I’d hate for anybody to miss out!